-
September 5th, 2006, 09:48 PM
#11
Senior Hostboard Member
I've got 2 pairs of the 604 8-G's with tangerines. Love 'em and play 'em. But I've always wondered what the mantaray sounded like compared to the egg crate. Anyone out there to describe the differences?
-
September 12th, 2006, 08:22 PM
#12
Hostboard Member
Hello folks,
Not to sound too, too, ignorant, (I am) can you tell w/o disassembly, whether or not the 604G has a tangerine phase plug? I gaze into the "eggcrate" daily while listening to them, but really can't discern much from the front, and I'm terrified of taking them apart.
-
September 13th, 2006, 04:32 AM
#13
Hostboard Member
Once you know what you're looking for, it's not hard to tell which phase plug you have. Get a good flashlight with a focused beam, and look straight into the front of the horn. Past where the throat of the horn has changed to a circular shape, you should see a very fine mesh screen. It's possiple the screen has been removed. What you want to see is past the screen, like looking out your window, you don't look at the screen, but what's past it. You'll either see a shape that resembles a tangerine that has been cut through the equator, or circular shaped rings.
-
September 13th, 2006, 01:46 PM
#14
Inactive Member
Isn't the Tangerine phase plug either bright orange (or maybe black?) plastic and the annular phase plug aluminum? Not that you can't see the straight radial slots versus the circular slots but the color kind of helps also.
-
September 13th, 2006, 07:45 PM
#15
Inactive Member
I have (1) Altec 604 that i would like to sell if anyone is interested. No 'a' 'b' 'c' just 604 - oh, and its BRAND NEW (a bit dusty)
I have pics, id post but i dont think i can, but would be happy to e-mail
hey bfish, i have a green 1592b, and a 1594b that id like to sell
i also have an old 8051a microaudio programmer, a 1653a eq, and a 1693c amp
let me know
Dave
[email protected]
-
September 22nd, 2006, 10:07 PM
#16
Hostboard Member
Thanks Thinking,
I had a hard time seeing past the screen, but I believe no Tangerine. I wonder what discernable differences there may actually be? I have no complaints, that's for sure.
-
September 22nd, 2006, 11:06 PM
#17
Senior Hostboard Member
Hi Thinking,
Altec 604-8G - early to late 70's
HF horn: 90h40v
X-over: 1500 Hz
Power: 65 watts
Impedance: 8 ohms
Weight: 40 lb.
Magnet: Alnico V magnets
Response: 20Hz - 22kHz
Free Air Resonance: 25Hz
Frame: cast frame dark grey paint
Cone: paper cone with an "accordian edge" cloth surround
comment: Sensitivity was improved - 100 dB SPL, 4 ft. on-axis 1 watt input
(pink noise band limited from 500-3000khz)
cast basket easily rear or front-mount
"tangerine" phase plug came in 1976 with no change in model number
604-8G's can be found w either circumferential phase plugs
or newer radial phase plugs with no indication on the driver label.
.....................................
-
September 23rd, 2006, 01:18 AM
#18
Senior Hostboard Member
The 604-G can come either way as noted. However I've seen at least a dozen pairs- the Tangerines are not nearly as common as the radial plug versions. I would wager by 10 to 1.
-
September 23rd, 2006, 02:09 AM
#19
Inactive Member
-
September 23rd, 2006, 02:10 PM
#20
Hostboard Member
Thanks Gary!
Definitly radial phase plugs.
A picture speaks a thousand words
Fran
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks